Monday, November 8, 2010

David O. McKay

Now we move to David O. McKay, the ninth President of the Church. He was sustained as President on April 9, 1951. I remember sitting in the Tabernacle on that day. He was 77 years old.

Just over twelve years later, in October of 1963, President McKay extended to me a call to serve as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. As I sat there in his office, he had me pull my chair up very close to him, and he put his hand on my knee. His eyes penetrated to my very soul. I will simply say this much about a very sacred experience which I don’t share often. He said, “Brother Monson, the Lord has called you to the apostleship. You will become the newest member of the Council of the Twelve.” We both wept a little bit. I later wept a lot more when I realized the extent of my responsibilities.

President McKay was a man of many attributes, but one which stands out is that of consideration. He was always considerate of others. Let me illustrate. I was in his office on one occasion prior to my call to the Twelve. I did the printing of his books, as I did for many of the other Brethren. On that particular occasion I noticed a painting on the wall, and I said to him, “President McKay, that’s a lovely painting. Is it a rendition of your childhood home in Huntsville, Utah?”

President McKay sat back in his chair, gave a familiar David O. McKay chuckle, and said, “Let me tell you about that picture. A sweet woman came in to see me one day and presented to me that beautiful painting, framed and ready to be placed on the wall. She said, `President McKay, I have spent the entire summer painting this picture of your ancestral home.’” He said he thanked her profusely and accepted the gift. “Do you know, Brother Monson,” he continued, “that sweet woman painted the wrong house. She painted the house next door! I didn’t have the heart to tell her. She may come back, so that’s why it’s hanging on the wall.” But then he made this comment, and here is a vital lesson for us. He said, “In reality, Brother Monson, she painted the right house, because when, as a young boy, I would lie on the bed which was on the front porch of my ancestral home, the view I had through that screened porch was of the very house she painted. She did paint the right house for me.”

President McKay’s favorite song was “Oh Say, What Is Truth?” His favorite food: Cummings chocolates.

What would be an expression of his? From his own heart and soul he said, “True Christianity is love in action.”

Again, the noble principle from President McKay that I would share with you today is consideration. May we ever be considerate.

President McKay served nineteen years as President, until his death January 18, 1970, at the age of 96.

Thomas S. Monson "Principles From Prophets" September 15 2009 BYU Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment