Sunday, July 11, 2010

He Was My Son Before He Was Yours

"Hasn't the Lord a right to call us home? Aren't we first of all His sons and daughters? I remember a father being unwilling to reconcile himself to the death of his only son. One day in the mountains he said to me that he had sought the Lord saying, "Why have you taken my boy, my son, my hope, my pride from me?"And there came to him the whisperings of the Spirit: "He was my son before he was yours. I loved him more than you will ever know how to love him, but if you are faithful I will give him back to you." And that father was reconciled. He was reconciled that God has a prior claim. When God calls us it is our business to say, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away; blessed be the name of the Lord." That is all we can do, and if we will desire it we will overcome and rise triumphant and victorious over all our sorrows. If we can only submit ourselves to that providence we will have peace in our hearts"

Bryant S. Hinckley, Sermons and Missionary Service of Melvin J. Ballard (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book CO., 1949) p 274.

No comments:

Post a Comment